I don’t usually post two blogs in a day, but since the news from the surgeon was good, I didn’t want to wait to report on that. This will be short (and sweet). The surgeon is actually very happy with Bucky’s progress so far, and sees some healing actually starting which is very good news. There is some infection, but the antibiotic he is on is sufficient to manage that. The infection is mostly because one of the pins has moved slightly (not enough for concern) and is poking at him a bit. This will be solved when the pin is removed.

In the meantime, he is making the progress she (the surgeon) would expect at this point. She wants his pain meds pulled back a bit, not to the point that he is in a lot of pain, but enough mild pain to remind him about what he can’t or shouldn’t do at this time. The NSAIDs also slow healing, so he is off that entirely, and he will get Gabapentin twice a day now instead of three times. Because he has developed a pretty good tolerance to the sedative, she increased his dose a little bit.

The even better news is that we won’t be amputating his front leg before he is available for adoption. He has been a tripod for three plus weeks now and is using the front leg fully, and it doesn’t seem to be hurting him, so she feels that amputation at this time isn’t necessary, and will only put more pressure on the back leg unnecessarily. The adopters for him will need to know that the front leg has problems, and down the road a year, two years, or maybe never, it may need amputation, and will certainly need meds for arthritis at some point if not amputated. But there is no reason to perform the amputation before adoption, which means we can start looking for a home for him sooner than later.

The surgeon wants him to continue with the laser and Stem treatments for the next couple weeks until we get his 6 week x-rays done, and if adequate healing has happened then he can start on actual rehab. He has lost some muscle tone from all this crate time, and rehab will help him get some of that back, and then he can be ready for adoption.

So…we are breathing many sighs of relief now. We just keep on keepin’ on with what we’re doing, which seems to be working, thank goodness. Thank you for all the good wishes and POTP. That all seems to have worked it magic.

17 thoughts on “The Fosters: The Episode in which Bucky Makes Progress

  1. YAY!!! Bring on the posts with news this good! Bucky–you are a little miracle child, aren’t you?! So the swelling is not too concerning? I am so happy reading this. Thank you for the update–this was great!

    1. The surgeon wants him to be kept on the antibiotic for the swelling, but it will abate when the pins come out, probably not before.

  2. Wow, thank heavens it was good news! You guys are on a crazy roller coaster ride with him. Let’s hope he keeps improving.

  3. Oh how wonderful to get a good report on sweet Bucky’s progress. That boy (and you) deserve some good news. Just knowing that he will be OK makes us all happy – he’s had some amazing treatment by the medical professionals and you and considering he’s a pup, he’s been pretty darn good about the whole ordeal! Sending more POTP vibes……and hugs.

    Pam and Teddy too

    1. Thank you Pam and Teddy. I’m hoping for a few quiet days with nothing of importance to report!!

  4. Very good news for Bucky and you. I didn’t get a chance to comment on the previous post so this post is a wonderful update. I think the surgeon had some great news with fresh hope for Bucky. I know you all are breathing a little more easier now. Thank heavens he has you.

    1. We definitely are breathing easier, and really hope that we can continue to do that for a long time!! What a roller coaster it has been.

Comments are closed.